Welcome – swap rules
4th November – sign-ups are now closed. Thanks to everyone who has joined up, you will be receiving your partner allocation information in the next couple of days.
I currently moderate a knitalong on Yahoo Groups called the Vintage Socks Knitalong, every 2 months we vote on a sock from Nancy Bush’s book Knitting Vintage Socks and then we knit that pattern together.
A couple of knitters in the Group recently suggested we have a swap and so, never one to turn down a good idea, here it is.
You don’t need to be in the KAL to take part, so long as you Knitting Vintage Socks and feel like knitting a pair of socks to send to someone then sign up.
The basic idea will be this:
1. The swap will be a secret swap.
2. Each swap member will be given one person to spoil, this will not be the same person who is spoiling you.
3. You will knit a pair of socks from Knitting Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush and send them to your spoilee. As well as the hand-knit socks you must send
The package you put together should have a minimum spend – yarn for the socks and other goodies – of around £15 (that’s about $30)
4. There’s a questionnaire to complete with the usual stuff – colour preferences, allergies, fibre likes/dislikes, foot size and in addition it also asks you to list your 3 favourite patterns from the book for your spoiler to choose from. There is a link to the questionnaire in the side bar.
5. The swap will run through December with a posting date some time in January. I know we’re all busy leading up to Christmas so trying to knit another pair of socks to send before then could be tough. Also, January is always a bit of a sad month with the climb-down after Christmas so what better to cheer you up than receiving a pair of hand-knit socks!
6. Throughout the swap you MUST (and I can’t say this enough) maintain regular contact with the swap-partner you are spoiling. It’s very disheartening if you’re working away on a swap parcel for someone but have heard nothing from the person who should be spoiling you! I’m not going to set a rule about how many times you contact but a quick email, a comment on their blog or a post on this blog once a week isn’t hard is it?
I’m happy to change/add/remove any of these if the majority request it so please leave a comment!
You don’t need to have a blog to take part, I will give everyone in the swap access to this blog so you can post teasers/questions/pics of the goodies you received. Please do post as that’s the best part of swaps, getting to know everyone else and see what they sent/received.
However, as this is a secret swap you will need to get yourself an anonymous email address to
31st October : Sign-ups will run till the end of October
7th November: I will then send out matches by the end of the first week in November
7th January: Parcels must be sent by the end of the first week in January.
If you are interested in signing up for this swap then please send the completed questionnaire to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will then send you a confirmation and give you access to this blog.
This is the first time I’ve hosted a swap so please bear with me if things don’t work out quite right!